Turntable media unit

Media unit for a turntable and vinyl records in the mid century style. The front panel with pattern of 8 different types of wood. Cabinet with a shelf for a turntable pre-amp and amplifier and two compartments for vinyl records.


  • one beerch plywood sheet 1.8 cm thick (150 x 200 cm)
  • veneers, mine were of different thicknesses: 0.6, 0.8, and 1.2 mm
  • Vidaron stain rustic oak
  • clear varnish for furnitures
  • 4 cm wide dark brown edge veneer
  • wood screws
  • beech dowel with a diameter of 10mm
  • Titebond Coldpress Veneer wood glue
  • 33 x 36 cm plexiglass 4 mm thick
  • black leather handle


  • plunge saw
  • wood router
  • eccentric sander
  • device for creating pocket holes
  • japanese pull saw
  • cutter knife
  • glue spreader roller
  • sandpaper with grades 100-600
  • 100 cm aluminum ruler
  • adhesive tape for painting
  • pencil

Obviously the most important thing to do at the beginning is to design, make a blueprint for project and carefully calculate the dimensions of all elements. In the process, I’ve changed the concept a bit and had to re-cut the elements. As a reminder, the old rule “measure twice, cut once”.

The cabinet is made of 18mm thick beech plywood. The elements were cut with a plunge saw and loosely stacked to check if everything fits as designed.

The first was made the front panel with a veneer, the same pattern as in previously made coffee table. The veneer strips were cut 8 cm wide with a cutter knife and glued together with a tape. Then glued with Titebond Veneer Coldpress glue to the front panel using clamps.

All the elements were covered with Vidaron rustic oak stain.

All outer edges were veneered with an iron.

The next step was oiling the front panel and cutting and staining the door. Holes (35 mm) have been drilled for the blum hinges system.

All elements received a layer of oil to deepen the contrast of the wood texture. The next step was gluing and screwing the elements using pocket holes.

A hole for the glass was planned in the door (for using the remote control purposes), so a rectangle was cut out, and then the edges were shaped to a depth of 4mm for the glass pane using a router. The inside of the edge has also been covered with veneer. Next step was gluing and screwing the rest of the elements and fixing the glass. Unfortunately, when I’ve tried to tighten the screw, the glass broke, so it was replaced with plexiglass, also 4mm thick. And a hole for cables has been drilled in the back of the cabinet.

The last stage was the assembly of the legs. They were bought as well as legs for coffee table (raw beech wood) and I have to only paint them black and make a finish coat. I’ve added speaker stands on the both sides so that they do not have to stand directly on the floor.

There were a few minor issues during production, but it turned out really great and I’m more than happy with the result. The furniture is solid and can easily handle heavy loads. It fits perfectly with the table and other furniture in the living room. And finally, this is a perfectly matched cabinet for audio equipment and vinyls.